I finally have to admit it, the amount of sock yarn I have is insane. I managed maintain denial about it until starting photographing my stash for ravelry (beats working heh). Feck. When it’s in various boxes and bags under the bed you can remain in denial, but not when you bring it all out into the light of day and pile it up on top of the bed. This photo is just my Violet Green stash, there is lots more sock yarn besides this. Trouble with the VG yarn is I love it all so much I can’t bear the thought of making into socks for anyone other than me me me.
So this is maybe hitting rock bottom, I have joined Sock Knitters Anonymous and will give myself over to the 12 step programme:
1. We admitted we were powerless over our desire to hand-knit socks and stash sock yarn.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of our LYSes as we understood Them.
4. Made a searching and fearless accurate inventory of Stashes.
5. Admitted to ravelry, to ourselves, and to other human beings the exact nature of our sock addiction.
6. Were entirely ready to frog any defects of knitting.
7. Humbly asked for knots to be removed from our skeins, hanks, and balls of yarn.
8. Made a list of all patterns we had started, stashed for, or designed on cocktail napkins, and became willing to start/ finish them all.
9. Finished sock WIPs wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them, the yarn, needles, ourselves, or others.
10. Continued to keep a stash inventory and when we buy sock yarn, promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through trial and error to improve our conscious contact with sock knitting as we understood It, praying only for knowledge of Turning Heels and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other sock knitters, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
And to which end I have joined Stash Knit Down 2008 and pledge not to buy another ball, skein or hank of sock yarn this year.